- Light to medium-weight with a straight grain pattern
- Pale to light brown in color with a somewhat porous texture
- Good shock resistance and durability
- Often used in furniture, flooring, and sports equipment
- Heavy, dense wood with a straight to interlocking grain pattern
- Reddish-brown color with a smooth texture and fine pores
- Good decay resistance and stability
- Often used in high-end furniture, cabinetry, and boat building.
Both kinds of wood have good workability and can take stain and finish well. The choice between the two may come down to personal preference or the specific application and desired appearance.